Formed in 1890 under the name of Newton’s to manufacture electric motors and generators, the company expanded into the development of testing equipment for the motor industry in the 1920’s.

The company was then sold to Lancashire Dynamo and Crypto, who wanted to expand their garage equipment interests and renamed the company to Crypton.

From this early involvement, Crypton grew to play a prominent role in shaping the history of engine diagnostic equipment, soon establishing itself as a household name and the Crypton brand becoming synonymous with the testing of engines.

The role of engine diagnostics has evolved over the years, from its origins in tuning through to the fault finding, diagnostics and emissions control of today. Innovative development continues to be a cornerstone of the company, which has ensured continuity of market share in most of the legislative emissions markets throughout the world.

Some of the major product landmarks include:

  • Production of one of the world’s first engine testers in 1936. Pioneering the concept of ‘area testing’ and the use of oscilloscopes in the 1950’s. Research into computer controlled equipment in the 1960’s. Development of bestselling, advanced, non-oscilloscope analyser and the introduction of on-board electronic systems testing in the 1970’s.
  • Introduction of a unique microprocessor controlled automatic tester in the 1980’s.
  • Innovative development of PC based testing with serially connected measurement modules in the early 1990’s.
  • Launch of the use of handheld ECM testers for the general market.
  • Pioneering the concept of information workstations in the late 1990’s.

In 2012, Crypton became a brand of Continental Automotive, the leading international automotive supplier and tyre manufacturer.

In 2015, Crypton launched a wireless tablet to directly link to the new DVSA online system to provide complete flexibility and efficient testing. Crypton also expanded its portfolio of products by launching a brand new range of service lifts.

More Information?

Get in touch

phone
+44 (0)844 665 7613
fax
+44 (0)844 665 7604
36 Gravelly Industrial Park, Birmingham, B24 8TA
 
 
 
 
Back to top