Crypton answers the most common questions on connected equipment here.
The DVSA plans to introduce headlight beam testers as the next equipment following successful trials.
Automating the way in which MOT test data is reported removes the possibility of human error. Like any industry relying on manual data input, there have been instances in the past where miskeying of information has resulted in incorrect data being logged with the DVSA. By logging data automatically, this risk is taken out of the equation.
The accuracy and speed at which test results can be recorded will ultimately free up time to carry out more efficient services, such as MOT tests to carry out the best service possible. This, in turn, gives garages the opportunity to improve their performance, profitability and increase the number of tests that can be completed in a typical day.
The connected emissions testing equipment also keeps users up-to-date on the state of the workshop’s internet connection. In instances where the connection is affected by poor signal, the emissions tester will notify the user. Data will be saved locally until the connection returns and the information can be sent to the MTS. Furthermore, no testing data will be lost if the signal is down. Garage owners and operators can therefore enjoy further peace-of-mind, knowing they do not need to carry out tests again.
The rule applies to any of the following:
- a new MOT centre
- reopening a closed MOT centre (regardless of how long it’s been closed)
- a change of ownership of an MOT centre (where it moves from one authorised examiner (AE) to another)
- replace the current roller brake tester
- add a new test lane with a roller brake tester
The rule does not apply if:
- you’re making a change to an existing AE (for example, where you add a new partner and keep the same AE number)
- your application was received by DVSA before 1 October 2019 – you can install any roller brake tester that was approved at the point you applied
1. You need a software code (called a ‘key’) to connect equipment to the MOT testing service.
2. When the engineer is on-site and ready to install your equipment you need to request a key and give it to them.
3. The key will not work at another testing station and only works on one piece of equipment.
How to request a key
4. Sign in to the MOT testing service.
5. Go to your ‘Vehicle testing station’ page.
6. Select ‘Request a key’ under ‘Change and connect equipment’.
7. Follow the instructions to create and send the key to your email address.
8. Check your email to find your key - make sure your email address is correct in the MOT testing service as the key will be emailed to this email address.
9. Open the email attachment and give it to the engineer - the password to open the email attachment will be the user ID you use to sign in to the MOT testing service.
PLEASE NOTE: You must keep keys secure. Only give them to the engineer installing your equipment. You’ll get instructions about how to use the key when it is sent.
Connected equipment only sends results for live MOT tests - it does not have a trial mode. You and the tester need to check that the results have been sent through on the first test after the equipment is installed. Contact the equipment supplier immediately if results are not sent through.
If you have a Crypton Control Centre or CCP800 series that is operated on Windows 10 then you can upgrade this to connected/MTS status. Please contact us or your local Crypton distributor to arrange this. If it is operating on an older system than Windows 10, you will also have to update this. Alternatively, you can buy a new Control Centre or emissions tester.
If you have a Crypton CCP800 series that is operated on Windows 10 then you can upgrade this to connected/MTS status. Please contact us or your local Crypton distributor to arrange this. If your machine is operating on an older system than Windows 10, you will also have to update this. Alternatively, you can buy a new Crypton emissions tester, which will be supplied with the connected software and our standard 3 years warranty.
Crypton – A Brand of the Continental Corporation